Rickrolled?

Friday, October 24, 2008

Labels: ,

I'm sure we've all been rickrolled once or twice.


But have you ever been Rickrolled in Super HD?

This clever use of the Javscript Player YouTube API demonstrates how to activate multiple players and synch them up. There's also a link to a Chromeless version, which provides an even more seamless experience.

Here's what Mr Doob put in the source, explaining how it was done. As he himself says, it only took a couple of hours.

/*

Hehehe... so you were wondering how this thing was done didn't you?



Well, ok, I'll give you a quick explanation... So I bought this DVD that had these 2 videos,

you already know very well the other video so I though I should illustrate you with the

*new* one. Then it was just a matter of letting VirtualDub (http://virtualdub.sourceforge.net/)

do what it does best. I managed to crop the video in 4 and having the first one with the audio.



At first I though FLV decompression was going to be hard for any CPU and having 4 videos

playing at once was going to be hard, but in the end it wasn't too bad. My iBook G4 wasn't

able to handle it, but I guess it's old enough to ignore. Then some problems on the flashplayer

for Linux appeared. The top-left video had a lot of delay, that video was the one that had

the music, so I though it was just a matter of the FLV player having problems there.



Anyway, the next day, I removed the audio from the first video (i,e cropped it again

with virtualdub but without the audio), and then created a new video (black) with the music

and if you take a look at the code, you'll see that there are 5 youtube players. Well, video0

is the one that plays the music, but as you can see on the styles, it's hidden. So if something

goes behind the rest will be the music, and well, neither in the original video the music

was 100% synced so I guess it does properly it's job.



It was just a matter of having the idea and spending a couple of hours on it, hope you enjoy

it, feel free to do your own versions! Hopefuly youtube won't mind ;)



PS: There is some people out there reversioning the file making it lose the control bars so the

four videos match perfectly. Well, I think they are missing the point, the idea wasn't to overuse

youtube, the idea was more on the joke side; nobody is actually going to upload 5 videos for

a little bit more of quality isn't it? Well, I hope nobody takes this seriously and does it :D



Cheers!

--

Mr.doob



*/

0 comments: